What is it?
Sciatica is the condition given to impingement or pressure to the sciatic nerve as it runs from the lower back into the buttock and leg. Pain can be experienced as sharp, stabbing or shooting pain that can extend down your leg. Numbness, pins and needles, tingling sensations, muscular weakness and incontinence may also be experienced.
What causes it?
Sciatica is generally caused by impingement of the sciatic nerve in the back or hip. A herniated or slipped disc, arthritis and structural misalignment such as a leg length difference can all cause sciatica.
How is it treated?
- Targeted strengthening and/or stretching programs to increase your posture can be undertaken by Bounce Podiatry.
- Laser therapy to relax the muscles in the lower back and hip can be undertaken. Pain management by desensitising the nerve can also be undertaken by your Bounce Podiatrist using laser therapy.
- Footwear changes can be undertaken specific to your foot type as well as footwear education.
- Graduated return to activity exercise program designed by your Bounce Podiatry podiatrist.
Other treatment options?
- Neurologist referral on consultation by your GP.
- Medication for pain management may be prescribed by your GP.
- Massage, manipulation, chiropractic and physiotherapy.